Dingwall Autos provide car repairs in Liverpool. At our in Harbord Street, Wavertree, we provide a range of car maintenance for customers across Liverpool, including brake repairs, clutch repairs and cambelt repairs.
The braking system is one of the most important safety systems on you vehicle, and a thorough check and condition of all its components is part of all our regular service packages.
We include brake maintenance in all major services. We:
- Check condition of brake lining/hydraulics/brake pads
- Clean and check conditions of drums/disc
- Check and adjust rear brakes
- Check and adjust hand brake
- Check brake fluid level
- Test and report, with a written estimate for suggested remedial work (if applicable)
At Dingwall Autos our trained technicians provide a cambelt replacement service in Liverpool. This is a vital requirement on most vehicles at the manufacturer's recommended intervals, and this can dramatically reduce the risk of catastrophic failure.
Cambelt failure usually results in extensive damage to the engine and the cost of rectifying the damage can exceeds the value of the vehicle.
At Dingwall Autos we offer a high range of quality new clutches in Liverpool, which are supplied by Europe's leading clutch manufacturers.
It is important to get specialist advice before fitting a new clutch as many symptoms could indicate a problem with the clutch, whilst the real problem may be something entirely different such as engine revving, slipping fan belt or minor adjustments.
Common clutch faults include:
- Slip: Caused by oil on the friction plate or worn friction plate, the systems of clutch slip are partial or total loss of drive, and vehicle speed lower than normal compared with engine speed.
- Drag: Clutch cable not at correct adjustment or centre plate sticking on splines. The symptoms of this would be difficulty in obtaining gear, particularly first and reverse gear.
- Judder: Caused by warped friction plate or engine/gearbox mounts broken. The symptoms of this would be a shudder and vibration as the vehicle moves off from rest.
As well as reducing noise, the exhaust of a modern vehicle also reduces environmental pollution as well as being an integral part of the engine management system.
A typical exhaust system will comprise five components, which are:
- Exhaust manifold
- Catalytic converter
- Centre Section
- Rear silencer assembly
The components most prone to failure are the rear silencer assembly. Particularly on short runs moisture can gather in the box and cause corrosion from the inside, leading to holes and the characteristic “blowing”.
Leaking exhaust systems are not only illegal, but can also lead to exhaust fumes entering the vehicle cabin causing various illnesses, including carbon monoxide poisoning. Leaking/defective exhaust systems, especially from the catalytic converter, can also degrade your vehicle's performance.
Proper servicing to keep your engine system running at peak efficiency can help to extend the life of the catalytic convector, which is typically the most expensive component in the exhaust system.
Dingwall Autos provides exhaust system maintenance in Liverpool, which could help to keep your car running efficiently and safely.
Steering system mainenance
The steering system on every car is very important and requires maintenance to keep it at an optimum standard. The steering rack on all motor vehicles is easily knocked out of alignment by speed bumps and potholes in the road. When the wheel alignment becomes out of tolerance the tyres will wear unevenly on either edge of the sidewall.
Signs of wheel imbalance are:
- Steering wheel is off set when the vehicle is travelling in a straight line.
- The vehicle may drift/pull to the left or right.
- The front tyre will wear bald or show signs of uneven wear on either edge.
If any of these problems occur on your vehicle we strongly recommend that you have your wheel alignment checked and adjusted if necessary. Dingwall Autos provides a comprehensive steering and wheel alignment maintenance service in Liverpool.
Suspension system maintenance
On the suspension system there are many moving parts, the main component of which is rubber that can dry out over a period of time and can crack and perish. In the worst situation the rubber components can split. You may be able to recognise when a component has become defective. Some of the effects could be:
- When pulling away from a stopped position a knocking noise may occur from the front of the vehicle.
- When travelling along uneven surfaces such as speed bumps or bumpy roads, once again a knocking noise may be heard from either end of the vehicle and the ride in the vehicle may be uncomfortable.
- On a straight road such as a motorway, if there is a defective component at one side at the front of the vehicle, it will drift or pull to the defective side.
An important part of the suspension is the shock absorbers; these are usually hydraulic or gas filled. They are essential to control the bounce on the vehicle and to ensure the tyres are kept firmly on the road. Damaged and worn shock absorbers can reduce the braking efficiency, cause poor cornering and tyre wear. Dingwall Autos provides suspension system maintenance in Liverpool to keep your car safe on the road.